Queen's College
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Een widget
Endorsed Forums
Link partners
Link partners
Link partners

Some wrecked angel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:58 pm
I still remember the first fall of snow and how it glistened as it fell, I remember it all too well
As if she didn't spend enough hours in the library already, she had now offered to become a tutor on top of it. At first, she wasn't sure wether or not she should take it on her plate seeing she was already pursuing two studies and was the president of her sorority. But then again, it would certainly make her resumé stand out even more. And who knew, maybe she could truly help someone.

That had been her first thought, helping someone. But then she got the news of who was assigned to her and she suddenly became a lot less confident. She didn't know Max that well, mostly through stories and the combined events their fraternity and sorority organized, but she knew him well enough. He wasn't really your academic type, so it didn't quite come as a surprise he needed tutoring. She had sent him a text telling him to meet her after class in the library at five and he had even replied. But now it was already half past five and he was nowhere to be seen. Irritated, to put it lightly, she decided to stay and wait it out. And after what seemed like an eon, somebody finally stopped at the desk she was sitting at. "You're late." She remarked as she continued with her handwritten notes. Briefly, she stopped, looking up and wiping a long strand of hair away from her face so she could see her culprit.

Outfit

Last edited by Arianna Kinsley Stuart on Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arianna Kinsley Stuart
IC posts : 27

Quote : the flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:27 am
THIS IS OUR DECISION
TO LIVE FAST AND DIE YOUNG
It wasn’t every day that he woke up at five in the afternoon – or was that evening already? – but lately, he had been on quite a few benders that made him wake up so late the day was rendered completely useless afterwards. Just like every other day, he was terribly hungover. Of course, that didn’t give him any incentive to go out and be productive for once. No, Max quietly suffered through his nausea and headache, alone and in bed. There was no need to get out anyway; in this state he wasn’t up for doing anything, not even something as simple as getting something to eat.

But as he watched the clock strike five on his phone, he recalled an appointment he had made a while ago. Or rather, an appointment that he had been forced to make due to his poor academic performance. He softly groaned, considering just calling Arianna up and cancelling the whole thing. Surely, she would understand. But he figured that she had already bothered to show up. If anything, she had been waiting for him for about ten minutes already. So, with an exasperated sigh, he got up, got dressed, and headed for the library.

He got there, almost entirely out of breath with his shirt on backwards. She didn’t say anything, except for the keen observation that he was late. About half an hour late, to be exact. “Or you were just early,” he casually pointed out, briefly wagging his index finger at her. “But I’m here now, so let’s get started.” Not that he was in any shape to study. But he was sure he could entertain himself by staring at her for the rest of the hour.
code made by kahlua of caution
Max Rutherford
IC posts : 35

Quote : I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw.

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:51 pm
I still remember the first fall of snow and how it glistened as it fell, I remember it all too well
The excuse of heading to the library, for literally anything, had become a recurring theme in her time here at Queen's College. To her it was like therapy and it provided her with a location to unwind from her already busy life just by herself. Today however, she'd let another person into her sacred peaceful space as she needed to tutor him. Unsurprisingly, Max was late. But if he wouldn't show up she knew she'd be assigned to someone more willing of her help. It was almost unfortunate when he did decide to show, come to think of it. Then again, the least she could do was give this a chance.

When he arrived and she finally looked up at him her keen eye focused on his rather messy appearance. Was his shirt on backwards? He distracted her from saying anything about it by wagging his finger at her, making her raise her brows in an unamused manner. "Whichever one it was, I don't plan on cutting this meeting short. And seeing as it takes two hours I suggest you cancel any dinner plans you have." She mentioned with a shrug. She already had. "Right," she said when he told her they ought to get started. Briefly she motioned to the seat on the other side of he desk as she opened her laptop and started browsing for the file she was handed about him. "So it says here that you study history and you're in your first year?" Wasn't he a little old to be in his first year? "Do you have trouble with just one subject or studying in general?" She then decided to ask, hoping that it was the first one.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Quote : the flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:59 am
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max hadn’t exactly wanted help with anything regarding his academic career. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn’t stupid, even if that was a common insult to be used against him. He wasn’t slow or dumb or thick, or whatever other synonym one could come up with. In fact, he was quite brilliant if he applied himself. Unfortunately, he hardly ever did so. There were simply a million other things that he found far more interesting than sitting in the library by himself, bent over a stack of history books.

But he had to do something, or he might risk getting kicked out of the university altogether. He would lose his purpose in life and probably most of his friends that way, so he had to keep that from happening. Fortunately for him, one of the most beautiful girls in the entire university – one he happened to have a little crush on, even – was a history tutor. As soon as he learnt about that, he didn’t have as much trouble with getting some extra lessons.

He furrowed his brows when she said that this would take them two hours. “Two hours?” he repeated incredulously. What was he supposed to eat? How could he possibly focus for two hours straight while hungry and hungover? He sighed and resigned, nodding along. Fine. He sat down at the table, placing his bag… Oh, shit. There was no bag. He’d forgotten it while hurrying to get here. Great. She started asking him some questions, which honestly sounded a little denigrating. “Technically, yes, but I’m already taking some second-year subjects,” he told her. The advantage of having suffered through two different courses already was that he could transfer some of his credits towards his third. “I changed my mind about what I wanted to do a couple of times…” he explained, so as to not seem like a complete failure to her. “My trouble isn’t so much with studying as it is with motivation, I suppose.” He could study just fine, he just… didn’t really want to most of the time.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 pm
The universe really did like to make her life as challenging as possible. Where she had once thought that tutoring would be relatively easy and especially rewarding, she was quick to change her mind when Max was assigned to her. If there was anyone who was the definition of lazy, it was him. She didn’t mind talking to him when it came to social events -she actually did enjoy his pathetic sense of humor from time to time-, but she had very little admiration for him otherwise. To her, he was just another case of wasted potential. But if she was one thing, she was fair, so that meant giving him a chance and doing her best to help him.

Their meeting didn’t start off very well, seeing as he was half an hour late. Then, he had the nerve to complain to her even though he didn’t actually say it out loud. ”Two hours.” She confirmed. That meant she wouldn’t get to dinner until it was half past seven and then she’d still have to cook, great. As she was scrolling through his file she asked him some questions and she wasn’t all that surprised with the answer. ”I’m well on my way in my second year of history so we should be fine then.” She said, not averting her eyes from her computer. She simply hummed when he told her he changed courses a few times, almost wanting to ask him which courses  he had pursued previously. But that didn’t matter. Unfortunately for her, he didn’t have trouble with a single course or even studying itself, but with his motivation. ”I see, we’ll circle back to that later on. For now, I would still like to figure out how you study.” She told him. Maybe she could still do some salvaging on that point before tackling the hardest issue. ”I see you have a paper due next week, have you started yet?” Why did she already know the answer to this?

Outfit

Last edited by Arianna Kinsley Stuart on Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:07 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Frankly, Max didn’t know how anyone did it. There was no way to balance academics, a social life, going out and having fun and a good night’s sleep with all the other things that students were allegedly supposed to do. It simply couldn’t be done. And, when forced to choose, Max preferred plenty of rest and a social life above good grades and other academic achievement. Money had never been a concern to him, so why should he sacrifice anything in order to chase a piece of paper that he never truly needed at all?

Two hours was far more than he had hoped for, but now that he was here, he supposed he might as well try to learn something from her. She told him she was well on her way throughout her second year of history, so they would have to manage together. Max nodded, realizing that they were doing the exact same thing, even though she was younger than him and was doing another course parallel to his one. Max snorted when she wanted to figure out ‘how’ he studied. “Simple. I don’t, usually,” he answered. Sometimes, when he did find the time to try, he usually was able to pass a subject. But most of the time he just couldn’t be bothered. She then asked about the paper, which was apparently due next week. “Well… yeah, kinda,” he answered. And by starting he only meant downloading the research paper template and putting his name on the cover.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm
There weren't enough hours in the day most of the time. She somehow managed to cramp studying for two courses at the same time, being president of her sorority, having a boyfriend and now tutoring all in a single day with enough time to sleep. But she wanted to do so much more. There weren't just two courses that interested her, there were at least ten. One could only dream of pursuing them all, but she feared her dreams would never become reality. So for now, she was stuck doing the most she could.

The two of them couldn't be any more different, she realized. Here she was, doing the most, whilst he did the very least and managed to get away with it. He didn't even study, he said so himself. The answer made her furrow her brows, wondering why he was even at university then. She supposed it was for the social life. "You're going to have to start studying sooner rather than later, if you don't want to be kicked out." She said, not really bothering to give him any more attention than was necessary. Max told her he had kind of started his paper for next week, finally making her look up from her laptop as her eyes focused on his. "All right, tell me, what's your standpoint? Your take on the subject?" She asked him as she raised her brows. Because she figured he hadn't really made a start, but he could prove her wrong.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:33 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max didn’t always understand why some of his friends never seemed to have time for him, but now he was reminded why that was. Apparently, some people needed to study, write papers, and then also have two-hour tutoring meetings on top of that in order to get ahead in life. What a miserable existence that had to be. One he certainly wasn’t planning on adopting for himself, even if he probably was going to have to if he wanted to stay at QCL.

Arianna pointed out the same to him, but it was something he had been told over and over again, by his parents, friends, and himself. One more person tuning in wasn’t going to change his mind. “I know,” he muttered, still quite disinterested. Maybe he needed to switch courses again to throw everyone off. That way, people would just assume he hadn’t felt passionately about his major, instead of thinking that he was too stupid or too unmotivated to finish anything. Then, she asked him about his take on his non-existent paper. Max took in a deep breath. “Well, I’m supposed to-“ He cut himself off, reminding him that he’d supposedly already started. “I’m writing about the increase in per capita income and urbanization rate in Europe in the late middle-ages…” His topic had been selected beforehand, but since he didn’t have much more than that, he was going to have to make something up. “I’m arguing that productivity growth can only explain a small proportion of that increase, so I’m looking at population dynamics to make up the difference.” Or something like that.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:33 pm
With just one look at her résumé one could argue that she was well on her way to succes. Arianna knew her father wanted her to go into politics, just as her uncle would probably prefer her to continue on an academic route. Either one of those would be perfectly in line with her family's traditions. Which was the whole problem: she wasn't sure if she wanted to pursue either of those careers. It was the main reason her life at the university was so busy right now, so she wouldn't have to think about the future.

Max on the other hand seemed to have his own reasons for staying as long as possible. Achieving academic succes didn't seem to be one of them. But he assured her he knew that at this rate, even staying at the university was at stake for him. She decided not to push his limits, instead focusing on the work ahead. She had expected him to not be able to answer her question, but alas, he did so quite well. "You're right, there's many different things that influence increase of income and urbanization rate at that time." She said after she had typed along with what he told her. "You certainly have a fascinating take by crossing your subject with population dynamics. You can go into birth rate, death rate and migration and find out what the driving force is behind each of those numbers and how it in turn influenced your subject." She went on. Was that a compliment in her answer somewhere? Maybe. "I suggest that in the next hour or so you start writing an outline for that paper. Think about what you want your main points to be and provide sufficient arguments for them." She said as a small smile krept onto her face. "With your level of expertise, that shouldn't be too hard." At least not after the years and years of practise he had under his belt.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:05 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max could easily bullshit his way through most conversations when it came to his area of study, but as soon as it came to execution, everything went south. He wasn’t sure whether he had ever turned in a paper in time, which probably meant that he hadn’t. He wasn’t exactly looking forward to putting in any work right now. He was tired, slowly getting hungry, and he knew a few of his mates would be going out for drinks tonight at a local pub. He didn’t want to be stuck in here for the rest of the night.

Most helpfully, Arianna offered him a few pointers from where he could start writing his paper, even though he had no intention of doing so. His eyes widened when she actually went on and put him to work. She wanted him to write an entire outline? Tonight? Max briefly bit his lip and nodded. “It shouldn’t be,” he agreed, after which he realized that he had a pretty solid excuse. “But I’m afraid I left my laptop at home, so I can’t really do much of anything right now.” He didn’t even have pen and paper with him. Hopefully, she wouldn’t think to point him towards those horribly slow library computers. That would make him have to stay here even longer.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:37 pm
A little effort would go a long way in the case of Max, she presumed. She didn't know him well enough to actually declare him stupid, a word she didn't like using anyway. But he had gotten into this university so he at least had potential. For some students channeling that potential was the hardest part, so maybe that was the same for him. How she'd get him to actually make progress was still a mystery to her though. She supposed she'd just have to try and try again.

Her first instinct was to just get him to work. She offered him some pointers, wasn't that what a tutor was supposed to do? His reaction to her request made it seem as if she was asking him to do the impossible, which they both knew she wasn't. An excuse was thrown her way: he didn't have his laptop. Arianna in turn simply smiled knowingly. "I know the computers are from the stone age so I won't have you use them for the most part. But not to worry, Max," she told him, his name easily rolling over her lips. "You can do it the old-fashioned way." She then added before reaching down to her bag. Luckily for him, she came prepared for the both of them. "I'll let you borrow this." She said as she handed him one of her notebooks -although it was really more of a book full of scrabbles and aimless thoughts in her neat and curly handwriting- and a silver pen. "Thankfully for you, we're in a place full of knowledge where you can find everything." An almost happy smile had crept onto her face. "The thing you need is called a book, I'm sure you've heard of it."

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:00 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max could see his entire night flash before him as she kept urging him towards the inevitable. Staying here and working on that bullshit paper that a lecturer would probably only glance at before slapping a grade on it. So much effort for so little pay-off, but he supposed that it needed to be done if he wanted to stay at the university. Even if he really didn’t want to do it.

An obnoxious smile appeared on Arianna’s face as he offered her his excuse. His laptop – or rather, his lack thereof – wasn’t a problem to her. Max sighed, already preparing to go sit behind one of those slow computers. But she gave him an alternative that was even worse than that. He raised his brows in disbelief when she pulled out a bloody notebook, along with a silver pen. He frowned and picked it up. “Seriously? You want me to write it down?” What was this? 1956? He inspected the damn pen as if he’d never seen one before in his life. His annoyance was now clearly showing. “I’m gonna spend most of those two hours on trying to find books. What’s the point in that?” There was none, except for wasting his time in the most efficient way possible. She couldn’t be serious about this, could she?
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:37 pm
The truth was that she had no clue how to tackle motivation issues. It wasn't exactly consider her job either. After all, her job was to reviews class assignments and discuss the content with the students, not to be some kind of guidance councellor. But she assumed her own academic rigor was exactly what had prompted the university to assign Max to her. Maybe they wanted to see if she was ready to become the university's psychologist while she was at it.

If there was one thing she didn't appreciate, it was laziness. Maybe Max was the kind of person that had an excuse ready for everything, but he'd have to save those for some other time. Her alternative to him forgetting his laptop wasn't appreciated, making her frown for a second or two. "You could always use those computers if you don't want to write." She said with a shrug. She wasn't about to have him do nothing for the remaining two hours. "The point is to get you to work." She simply said. "But without your laptop -which you're not going to fetch becaus it'd waste the tutoring session- I don't see any other option than either having you waste your time staring at the computers or use them to find a book and read that." She explained as she leaned back in her chair a little. "Or do you have a third option?" She then asked with a sigh. As long as he didn't say he wanted to use hers, she was fine with almost anything that would make him the least bit productive.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:25 am
THIS IS OUR DECISION
It was easier to help someone who was merely struggling with a statistics course than to tackle someone’s entire life philosophy in a single tutoring session. Max’s motivation concerning his studies – or rather, his lack thereof – would not be solved in the course of two hours. For years, he had told himself that nothing he did would matter much, since his parents would always be there to catch him financially whenever he fell. It did not make a difference whether he failed or succeeded, and since the former was far easier to do, he kept on doing it that way. No matter how terribly he fucked up, the consequences would always be mild at most.

Arianna was the first person in a while who actually tried to get him to do something. She suggested that he use the computers instead if writing would take too long, and he tried his hardest to refrain from whining about that again. She asked him to solve his own problem, to which he let out a defeated sigh. “Fine, I’ll use the computer,” he muttered. He got up and walked on over to the nearest desk that had one, turning it on and waiting an excruciating amount of time for it to start. Then, he went online and logged into his student account and downloaded and opened the template that he was now seeing for the first time in a while. “An outline, you said?” he asked, first filling in the easy details, such as his own name, the date, and the name of his supervisor. Then, he created a standard outline, putting up some meaningless titles without content. An introduction, a section for his literature analysis, and a discussion. “All done! he cheerfully said, a little too loud so that he earned quite a few angry looks from his fellow students. Now, he could go, right?
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 pm
Lack of motivation wasn't a term that existed in her dictionary. She had always loved everything about studying. She revelled at university for all the right reasons. So much so that she didn't want to leave just yet, because that'd mean she'd lose everything she so adored.

The problem of what Max would do in the coming two hours without his laptop was quite apparent. But alas, he vowed to do something. She didn't say anything as he walked to a computer, just silently watching him from her desk. Only a few minutes later he managed to scare the hell out of her by exclaiming loudly he was done. With a frown on her face she stood up and walked over to him, surprised that he was done already. But he of course wasn't. "Let me have a look." She said as she placed a hand on his desk and leaned over him to see what he had written down. Which wasn't much, except for the words 'introduction', 'literature analysis' and whatnot. She sighed, standing back up straightening her back -and skirt- before turning towards him. Gently, she sat on the edge of his desk so they were more at eye level. "Max, we both know that's not what I meant by writing an outline. She started as she crossed her arms. "Your outline needs a compelling introduction. As well as a literature analysis in which you have clear topics, arguments to define them, evidence to support those and examples." She explained, not really wanting to delve into topics he already knew everything about. But as her irritation grew there was that little voice in her head telling her to give him a chance. "I'll email you a clear structure of what an outline should look like to help you along. Will that help?" She then offered with a slight smile. She shifted on the desk a little, trying not to focus her eyes on his messy appearance. "Would it also help if I get us some coffee?" She said with a sigh. Maybe that would keep him awake.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:54 am
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max could understand why some people felt so passionately about university. He could imagine that if you studied something you were thoroughly interested in, it could most definitely be a fun time in your life. But he himself was far more intrigued by all the activities surrounding academic life. The societies, the parties, the excessive drinking, the frat boy culture that was often criticized for being both elitist and downright toxically masculine. Those were his favourite parts of life, and trying his best at university would mean he would have to depart from that life far too prematurely.

Quickly, he wrote up an ‘outline’, which was nothing more than ten words scattered across a few pages. He doubted she would accept it, and she didn’t. Max tried his hardest to look proud when she inspected his ‘work’. A fortunate development, however, was that she was now seated on the corner of his desk, which offered him an extraordinary view of her legs. Of course, he was now distracted. She reminded him of what an outline was supposed to be, but all the words just passed him by. “Oh, yeah, that’ll definitely help,” he said, somewhat absentmindedly as he forced himself to look back at her face instead. “And I would love a cup, yeah.” Last night had been rough, so caffeine was more than welcome. In fact, the two of them should grab coffee together sometimes, away from all these papers and books and whatnot. But he decided to ask her once he got the feeling she disliked him a little less. For now, he waited for her to go get coffee as he tried to make a little more of his ‘outline’.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm
As soon as Arianna came over to inspect his 'outline', she was disappointed with what he presented. She tried her best not to let her disappointment shimmer through but she was sure he could still see it in her eyes. If he cared to look into them, because he seemed rather distracted. The mention of the heavenly good that was coffee seemed to pull him back into reality though. "All right, you start working on a correct outline and I'll get you your coffee." She agreed with an actual smile on her face now, feeling a little better about the whole situation already. "Cappucino? Or something stronger?" She guessed. After he had decided on something, she stood up and walked back over to her desk, emailing him the document she used for writing outlines before heading towards the coffee machine.

This should help, try not to get too distracted.
-Arianna

The wait at the coffee machine was long. Apparently half of the students in the library had decided to take a coffee break. To make it worse, one of her sorority sisters came over to talk to her. When Arianna told her she was tutoring Max Rutherford the only response she got were a lot of giggles. Great, she must be another one of his conquests that never seemed to get over him. She showed the girl a kind smile before excusing herself, heading back to Max. As she silently walked up behind him, she tried to see if he was actually working. "How's it going?" She asked after a while of peeking over his shoulder.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:54 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max knew that he could probably write an acceptable paper if he made an effort to apply himself, but starting was always the worst part of it. Obliviously staring at a blank Word document for hours on end, with nothing to show for all that time and the end of it. He rarely ever got past that phase to begin with, but when he did, he sometimes wrote something actually worth reading. “Just a black coffee,” he asked her before she went on her coffee run. He needed something to keep him going for the next two hours, after all.

With a sigh, he watched her walk off, after which he kept staring at the document for a few more minutes. Then, he noticed the e-mail she had sent him. Max opened it, stared at it for a little longer, but eventually got to work. And, lo and behold, something actually came out of it for once.

Arianna stayed away for quite some time, which offered him ample opportunity to actually get something on paper. He had formulated a research question, found some articles that he wanted to reference, and had gathered some interesting background information that her certainly wanted to put in there. He had made an overview of the lay-out of his paper, deciding to start with a problem definition and following that up with a cause-effect analysis. He wasn’t entirely sure what to follow that up with, though, and his conclusion would simply have to wait until he had delved into the actual research. Eventually, Arianna came back, asking him the obvious question. “It’s going, I think,” he answered, showing her his outline. It still was a little messy, but he was glad to say that it made sense to him at least. “There’s just so much literature that I’m having trouble making sense of it.” Demonstrated by the tens of tabs he currently had opened on his internet browser.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:03 pm
If Max was profoundly stupid he wouldn't have been accepted into this university. So Arianna assumed he'd at least be able to write somewhat of a decent paper if only he found the motivation to do so. And he seemed to become more willing to at least try and work, which certainly helped. They'd just have to take it one step at a time, and the next step was coffee.  

The wait at the coffee machine had been excruciatingly long but after about twenty-five minutes she made her way back to her tutee. Against all expectations, it looked like he was actually working. She nodded when he said the outline coming along, handing him his coffee. She put her hand on the back of his chair and leaned down a little so she could read the screen, humming softly when Max told her he struggled with the amount of literature. "Well, your outline looks decent enough so far. What are you going to put after the cause and affect part?" She asked as she looked at the screen. "As for the literature, you don't have to read the entire thing." Reading multiple thirty-paged articles would cost him a decade, let alone if he had used a book as a source. "Just read the introduction and the conclusion and decide where in your paper it would be a good fit, for now. And make sure to add it to your bibliography so you don't lose it." She explained as she looked at him. She drew back a little, noticing how close she had been to him, and raised her brows in anticipation. Surely he could keep up this good work, right?

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:14 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Back in secondary school, he had been at the top of his class. Max supposed that that was why had made it to QCL in the first place. Contrary to popular belief, he hadn’t ridden in on a horse made out of his daddy’s charity. He had been pretty bright, even without ever really trying his hardest. Everything just had gone kind of wrong when he had moved away from home, attended university, and especially once he had joined ITHACA.

It was so bad that he almost felt a little strange doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing: studying. But after a little while, he actually got going a little bit. Truth be told, he noticed that he was getting into somewhat of a flow, which was interrupted a little bit once Arianna came back. Not that he minded; he was doing all of this in the hopes of impressing her at least a little bit anyway.

He brightly smiled when she said that his outline looked ‘decent enough’. She asked him a question, which made him redirect his gaze towards the screen again. “The consequences, I suppose,” he thoughtfully replied. Unless there should be something in between there. She advised him not to read the entire article, but instead just read the introduction and the conclusion. “Right, my bibliography,” he muttered, scrolling all the way down to create one of those. He typed out the header, noticing that she was pretty close to him once he faced her again. “Thanks…” he said, almost a little enchanted. “And thanks for the coffee.” All of a sudden, he felt a weird tension in the pit of his stomach.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 pm
Not much had changed between her time at Wycombe Abbey and Queen's College. She was still top of her class, only she had to work a little harder to remain there now. Honestly the main difference was the presence of boys like Max, since her secondary school had been an all-girls school. But she had learned quick enough how they worked. Besides, they weren't too difficult to figure out most of the time.

The way he smiled when she gave him a rare compliment was almost endearing. Now all he had to do was keep up this work. Unfortunately, she figured that was where she'd face the real challenge. "That sounds about right. Maybe put a third body section in there for the solutions." She replied to his answer, nodding slightly. When he looked at her again she was quick to distance herself from him a little bit, yet his grateful remark made her smile. "Don't worry, we’ve all faced a hangover before." She said knowingly. After all, she was in a sorority equal to his fraternity. "Give a shout when you need more help." She went on, briefly patting him on the shoulder before walking back to her own desk. She opened her laptop once again and continued working on her own notes. As she absent-mindedly put her pencil against her lips she threw a quick glance his way, but he seemed to be doing just fine.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:13 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Max hadn’t received much praise as of late. Not that he blamed anyone for that, though. There were only few things he did that were worthy of praise these days. Still, it was nice to hear someone tell him he was doing a good job at something for once. It made him want to try a little harder, or even try at all. That was new for him, too.

He nodded when she suggested putting in another section for the solutions to the problem. “Good idea,” he commended her, putting in a few spaces before adding the temporary heading to his outline. Max was surprised to notice that he actually had somewhat of a structure going on for himself. He was almost… proud, even if he still did have a long way to go. He awkwardly chuckled when she commented on his hangover. “It’s that obvious, huh?” He had tried to hide it at least a little bit, but he supposed he was looking a little tired. “Will do,” he then said with a firm nod when she headed back to her own desk, leaving him to work on his paper once again.

While sipping the coffee she had brought him, he continued on with his paper. Slowly but surely, it was taking some actual shape. Before he knew it, an hour had passed and he had somewhat of an introduction going already. Letting out a deep breath, he stretched out, got up on his feet, and walked over to Arianna. “You up for a break?” he asked. Those were important too, after all.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:42 pm
Against all odds, she was quite proud of Max, even though it was for doing the bare minimum. She supposed that, considering his academic failures as of late, he hadn't received much praise to begin with. So maybe that'd be the key to making these tutoring sessions succesful.

He seemed to make great use of her suggestions, making her look at him with a satisfied smile on her face. Achieving anything really wasn't all that hard once you had some structure in your life. Her smile turned into somewhat of a grin when she commented on his hangover, which to her, was quite apparent. "Well I know for a fact there was a party last night." She said with a shrug as she tilted her head a little and looked him in the eye. "And your shirt is on backwards." She continued in an amused tone before letting him get back to work.

Unbeknownst to Arianna, time had gone by rather quickly. She was still focused on her notes -having filled several pages with her neat handwriting- when Max walked up to her. He managed to grab her attention, making her look up in slight surprise. "Right, I suppose so." She mumbled as she looked at the screen of her laptop and noticed an hour had passed already. "Tea this time? Or more coffee?" She asked before getting up. "I came across one of your conquests before, 'hi' from Charlotte." She decided to say as she looked at him when they got out of the library. It wasn't really much of a "hi" she had gotten from the blonde, but it was the polite thing to say.

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Rutherford Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:32 pm
THIS IS OUR DECISION
Who knew? Maybe he could get into this after all. While his head was most definitely throbbing because of all the hard liquor he’d devoured last night, this wasn’t so bad. He was sure that if he was feeling better physically, he could actually spend quite a few hours in the library before truly getting bored. Not that writing this paper was riveting by any means, but he had noticed that he had been getting into a little bit of a flow as he typed. Not to mention that Arianna being here made it that much easier.

She told him that she knew there had been a party last night, and she pointed out that he was wearing his shirt the wrong way ‘round. His eyes widened a little in sudden embarrassment as he looked down, noticing that his shirt was on backwards indeed. “Shit…” he muttered. So much for good impressions. Not that he believed he had made one of those anyway. Well, he was already embarrassed, so what was the use in putting it on correctly?

Before he would incorporate any more of her suggestions, however, he needed a little bit of a break again. More caffeine too, maybe. He asked her for a break. “I could use another cuppa coffee,” he admitted. He would probably sleep terribly because of it tonight, but he had significant trouble keeping his eyes open right now. Then, she said she had come across one of her conquests. Charlotte was her name, but Max had no idea whom she was talking about. “Charlotte?” he repeated, before it started to dawn on him. “Oh, yes, of course, Charlotte! Oh, yeah, she’s lovely, isn’t she?” He still wasn’t sure who she was, but he didn’t want to come across like some asshole.
Max Rutherford

Max Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna Kinsley Stuart Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:06 am
The way Max seemed willing to get to work was a complete one-eighty in comparison to the way he had arrived here. But Arianna was known to be quite persistent, today wasn't an exception. Even when she could tell he was quite hungover. She chuckled a little when he came to the realization that he had messed up getting dressed today. "Don't worry about it Max." She told him as she briefly looked around and showing him an amused smile when she was walking back to her desk.

After an hour or so it was time for a well-deserved break. "I almost can't believe you find the university coffee so delicious you'd take another cup." She said, raising her brows a little. Not that the tea was any better, if anything it was a crime they didn't provide any milk to put in it. She had heard enough stories about Max to know he made it his purpose to add as many girls as he could to his been-there-done-her-list. And CAELESTIS members made up most of that list. But he seemed to remember Charlotte -or acted as if he did-. "She is, definitely. Especially that long brown hair of hers, right?" She asked, lying almost effortlessly as she tried to get the reaction she wanted out of him. But certainly he'd at least remember Charlotte's appearance, right?     

Outfit

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Arianna Kinsley Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content
Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top